Saturday, March 28, 2015

UK Ambassador to Lebanon said that British authorities will contribute 1 million pounds (almost $1.5 million) to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon.

 28.03.2015 - UK authorities will contribute 1 million pounds (almost $1.5 million) to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, UK Ambassador to Lebanon Tom Fletcher said Saturday.
"This additional UK funding will allow the Special Tribunal for Lebanon to continue its important work to end impunity for political violence in Lebanon," Fletcher was quoted as saying by Lebanon's The Daily Star.
According to the newspaper, the ambassador announced the contribution during a phone conversation with Lebanese Prime Minister Tammam Salam.
Fletcher said he had discussed with Salam the importance of the rule of law for Lebanon's stability in the long term.
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon is a tribunal mandated to hold trials for those accused of being behind the attack in February 2005 that killed 22 people, including Lebanon's former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri.
The tribunal was inaugurated on March 1, 2009 and is headquartered in the Hague, with an office in Beirut as well.
Voluntary contributions constitute 51 percent of the tribunal's budget, with 49 percent coming from the Lebanese government.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

STL publishes sixth annual report

Leidschendam, 10 March 2015 – The Special Tribunal for Lebanon submitted last week its sixth annual report to the United Nations Secretary-General and to the Government of Lebanon. The report is now available on the Tribunal's website.

The annual report details the activities of the Tribunal over the period 1 March 2014-28 February 2015 and its objectives in the coming year. It also highlights the judicial and non-judicial developments in the STL's Chambers, Office of the Prosecutor, Defence Office and Registry.

The smooth progress of the Ayyash et al. trial following the resumption of proceedings before the Trial Chamber on 18 June 2014 constituted a successful step towards the completion of trial and fulfilling the Tribunal's primary mandate. As of mid-February, the Trial Chamber has heard oral testimony from 47 witnesses and has admitted into evidence written statements of 56 others. It has admitted into the trial record 579 exhibits, totaling 27,582 of pages, and ruled admissible around 500 more. The Trial Chamber has also ordered so far that all the witness evidence be heard in open session, to maximise publicity and public scrutiny.

The Tribunal has also considered two cases of alleged contempt and obstruction of justice during the reporting period. The two cases concern the publication of the identities of individuals alleged to be confidential witnesses in the Ayyash et al. case. The contempt trials are to take place later this year.

"The first mandate was a period of investigations and preparations. The second saw the opening of the first trial on 16 January 2014. The third mandate will include the completion of the current trial" said former STL President, Judge Sir David Baragwanath.

The former President concluded "the STL is uniquely placed to make a contribution to the rule of law. In our new mandate, we must redouble our efforts to ensure that our legacy is one of significant and enduring value for Lebanon primarily, but also for the region and beyond."

Friday, February 27, 2015

STL Registrar concludes working visit to Lebanon

Leidschendam, 27 February 2015 – The Registrar of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, Daryl Mundis, concluded an official visit to Lebanon today. During his mission to Beirut, the Registrar met the Lebanese Prime Minister Tammam Salam and other senior government officials, as well as representatives of the diplomatic community in Lebanon. The Registrar also met STL staff in Beirut.

"This visit gave me the opportunity to thank the Lebanese Government for its ongoing cooperation with the STL", said Mr Mundis.  "Lebanon's continued support is critical to ensure that the Tribunal fulfils its mandate in a timely and fair manner."

The STL Registrar is responsible for all aspects of the Tribunal's administration including the budget, fundraising, relations with states and court management. His responsibilities also include oversight of the victim participation unit, witness protection and detention facilities.

Election of Judge Ivana Hrdličková as new STL President

Thursday, 19 February 2015 17:50
Leidschendam, 19 February 2015 - Judge Ivana Hrdličková of the Czech Republic has been elected President of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, succeeding Judge Sir David Baragwanath of New Zealand. Judge Ralph Riachy of Lebanon has been re-elected as Vice-President.

The Judges of the Appeals Chamber, who met today, elected Judge Hrdličková and Judge Riachy for a period of 18 months, starting from 1 March 2015. The election of the President and the Vice-President is in accordance with Article 8(2) of the Tribunal's Statute and Rule 31 of the Rules of Procedure and Evidence.

Judge Hrdličková began her career as a Judge in 1990 and has presided over both civil and criminal cases. Judge Hrdličková holds a PhD from the law faculty of Charles University in Prague in Shari'a law and speaks Arabic. She was appointed an Appeals Chamber Judge in November 2012.

The President of the Tribunal has a wide range of responsibilities including oversight of the effective functioning of the Tribunal and the good administration of justice, as well as representing the STL in relations with States, the United Nations and other entities.

Judge Sir David Baragwanath, who remains an Appeals Chamber Judge, has served as President of the Tribunal since October 2011. "For more than three years it has been my privilege to be able to serve Lebanon and its people as President of the Tribunal", said Judge Baragwanath.

"As a judge of the Appeals Chamber I now look forward to supporting my very able and competent successor, Judge Hrdličková, as she assumes her new role and responsibilities at the beginning of a new mandate for the STL."

You can read biographies of Judge Hrdličková and Judge Riachy on the STL website.

High resolution pictures of the STL Judges can be found on our Flickr page.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Statement attributable to the Spokesman of the Secretary-General on the tenth anniversary of the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri

New York, 14 February 2015

On the tenth anniversary of the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri and 21 others who lost their lives on that day, the Secretary-General renews his condolences to the families of the victims of this terrorist attack. A decade on, the message remains that impunity will not be tolerated. The United Nations is committed to support the work of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, with the continued support and cooperation of the Government of Lebanon.

The United Nations reiterates its long standing commitment to the people of Lebanon on this occasion. As Lebanon faces renewed challenges, the United Nations continues to work with the Government of Lebanon, alongside all Lebanese partners, to support the country in its efforts to strengthen stability and security, in line with relevant resolutions of the Security Council.


Friday, February 13, 2015

Statement on the Anniversary of the Death of Rafic Hariri

Remarks
Washington, DC
February 13, 2015

Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, known to many as "Mr. Lebanon," was guided by his vision of a stable, sovereign, and prosperous homeland. For years, he gave hope to Lebanon's youth through scholarship programs that helped to educate generations, even during his country's darkest days. He stood for peaceful change and the resolution of differences through conversations – not carnage. He spent his life working to make Lebanon more democratic, more free, more prosperous, and more secure – for all its people.

Ten years ago today, he was assassinated because some feared he might succeed.

Still today, justice for that crime has not been served, and the United States stands with the Lebanese people and the international community in supporting the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and demanding that the murderers of Rafik Hariri be held accountable.

We also recognize the need to focus – not only on justice for the cowardly crimes of the past – but on Lebanon's future – on honoring the legacy that Hariri left behind.

On behalf of President Barack Obama, I can tell you that America's commitment to Lebanon remains as strong as ever. We continue to support in very practical ways Lebanon's full sovereignty and independence from outside influence, including through our support for the relevant UN Security Council resolutions, the Baabda Declaration, and Lebanon's dissociation policy from foreign conflicts. And we continue to support Lebanon's efforts to strengthen its political and security institutions as a safeguard against violence, whether from outside or inside the country.

No challenge is more perilous to Lebanon's security than the rise of violent extremism throughout the region. We are committed to helping the Lebanese Armed Forces meet this challenge, because they alone have the legitimacy to defend their country's borders and protect their citizens. Make no mistake: there is no justification for the retention of arms by a militia or terrorist group that answers – not to the Lebanese people – but to foreign governments in Damascus and Tehran.

Between the spillover of extremist violence from Syria, the refugee crisis created by that conflict, and the economic difficulties that exacerbate every other test Lebanon is facing, it's fair to say that the status quo is not the Lebanon that Prime Minister Hariri envisioned. And while finally moving forward with the election of a Lebanese president will not fully resolve these challenges, it will be an essential step in the right direction. I urge Lebanon's leaders not to look outside of their country for a resolution to the presidential gridlock, but instead to find a solution from within. Unless and until a president is chosen, the erosion of Lebanon's political institutions will only become more pronounced.

As Lebanon seeks to fulfill its potential – as it seeks to continue Hariri's work toward a better future – the United States will stand right by its side. We will continue to work with political leaders, activists, scholars, and public servants throughout the country who share Hariri's vision for a sovereign, secure and prosperous Lebanon. And we will be guided by the clear understanding that the answers to the challenges facing Lebanon today lie – as they did ten years ago – not in violence and extremism, but in moderation and coexistence.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

STL suspect Badreddine at Mughniyeh funeral

The Daily Star - Jan. 22, 2015
BEIRUT: Senior Hezbollah operative Mustafa Badreddine, whom the Special Tribunal for Lebanon accuses along with three others of being behind the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, received condolences alongside his family for the death of his nephew Jihad Imad Mughniyeh, attendees at the funeral told The Daily Star.
Mughniyeh died in Israel's strike on a Hezbollah convoy in Syria's Qunaitra over the weekend. Badreddine's sister Saada was married to Hezbollah military commander Imad Mughniyeh, who was assassinated in Damascus in 2008.
Badreddine was seen receiving condolences with the family Monday, when Jihad Mughniyeh, 25, was laid to rest.
Since the STL indictment of July 29, 2011, named Badreddine and three other Hezbollah operatives – Salim Jamil Ayyash, Hussein Hassan Oneissi and Assad Hassan Sabra – the men have disappeared, with reports saying they allegedly fled to Iran.
The Tribunal accused Badreddine of being the mastermind of the Valentine's Day attack, saying he was the main organizer of the operation.
After a failure to apprehend the suspects, the STL issued a decision on Feb. 1, 2012, to try them in absentia.